Follow these simple steps to make dried salted plums, we actually sell them to save our customers the trouble but this is for your information. If you do not want to make your own then we have a huge selection in our shop just waiting for our hungry and desperate salty plum customers meet their needs.
1. As much as possible, choose Italian plums over the usual round-shaped plums to dry. The former are easier to dry than the latter, and they are also sweeter in taste.
2. Wash the plums thoroughly. Cut the fruit in half, and then take out the pit. You may also choose to cut each half into two to make quarters.
The next steps are for drying out Salted Plums using a dehydrator:
3. Arrange your plums on your food dehydrator trays with either the cut side down (to fit more plums in the tray) or side up (to prevent sticking and dripping).
4. Follow the recommended temperature of your food dehydrating equipment, or set the machine anywhere between 125°F – 140°F. Check your plums from time to time or every four hours. Turn the trays as necessary to make sure that the plums dry out evenly. It takes about 12 hours up to 30 hours to dehydrate the Salted Plums.
If drying plums without using a dehydrator, follow steps 1 and 2 above, skip steps 3 and 4, and then proceed with these steps:
5. Place your plums side up or side down on your oven trays (baking trays) lined with sheets. Pre-heat the oven to 120°F before placing the oven trays or pans.
6. Let the heat from the oven dry the plums for about 6-8 hours, checking their condition regularly. You may also want to open your oven door occasionally to allow the steam to escape.
7. Finish the process by adjusting the temperature of your oven to the lowest. This process takes about 6 hours up to 8 hours before you take out the plums from the oven.
Allow the plums to cool before placing them in an airtight container. Sprinkle some salt on the Salted Plums before storing them into the container. Preferably, use a mason jar for this purpose. You can now enjoy your dried plums just by following these simple and easy steps. You also get to benefit from snacking on dried plums, as they are a rich source of fiber that can optimize your digestion. Visit Salty Plus Australia if you do not want to make your own.